Fish is not only delicious, but it is very good for you as well. One of the main reasons why we have so many fish-based dishes on our menu is because everyone should try and incorporate seafood into their diet. Not only will you enjoy eating it, but your body will thank you as well. So, let’s take a look at the health benefits of eating fish…
- Cancer Fighting Properties – Shellfish, such as lobster and crab, are thought to have cancer-fighting properties because they contain selenium. Moreover, a Swedish study revealed that men who did not eat fish were twice as likely to develop prostate cancer compared to those who eat a moderate amount of fish.
- Improve Mood – Another reason to tuck into the best fish dishes is because they will improve your mood. This is because omega-3 fatty acids are thought to raise the levels of serotonin in the brain.
- Important For Unborn And Breastfed Babies – The oils in fish are vital for infant eye and vision development. Studies have revealed that pregnant women that eat a lot of fish show signs of more mature brain development.
- Improve Skin – Fish can also help to smooth out age lines and give your skin a beautiful glow. Salmon in particular is really good for improved skin.
- Relieve Arthritis – Fish is thought to be good for reducing and relieving inflammatory conditions, with arthritis being a prime example.
- Enhance Brainpower – Scientists have revealed that omega-3 fatty acids can lower stores of the neurotransmitter dopamine. This is linked to working memory. So if you have got an important exam coming up you may want to eat plenty of fish beforehand.
- Help Fight Heart Disease – Individuals are recommended to eat a minimum of two portions of seafood per week, as this will reduce the risk of heart disease, whilst also increasing your chances of survival after a heart attack.
As you can see, there are lots of reasons to enjoy seafood in Hong Kong. However, you do need to choose what fish you eat carefully. Unfortunately some fish is high in mercury and this is believed to impair blood-sugar control. Fish with a substantial amount of mercury includes tuna, Chilean sea bass, marlin, shark, swordfish and grouper. You don’t need to avoid these fish altogether, but you should be careful with the amount you consume.
Now you know everything regarding the health benefits that are associated with eating fish. If you want to experience some of the best seafood dishes you should pay us a visit. We have lots of different fish-based dishes for you to try. Our Pan Fried Barramundi is a popular option. It is served with braised spring vegetables, corn puree and poached egg. Perhaps you would prefer our Grilled Mackerel? This is served with pickled cucumber, yoghurt and spiced aubergine. There are plenty of other dishes to choose from as well.
Author – Russell Doctrove, chef at Fish & MeatGo back